Another finish for 2013! I’m teaching the granny block at Linderella’s on May 18. So I needed a store sample:)
Every time I teach Color Theory, I use these fabrics for the complimentary example of muddy colors. And every time, I think…I want to make a quilt from these. So I did:) (I couldn’t crop out Mack the chihuahua:)
I used strip piecing and made 16 blocks at a time. There are lots of great tutorials; I like this one. I used width of fabric to get 16 blocks at a time and pressed a little differently. I made two sets of 16 to have enough for the whole quilt.
And pinning. I’ve also starting pinning much more frequently which is making things go MUCH smoother in the quilting phase. My border was really wrinkly and I should have ripped it out and sewn that seam again. But unsewing is so unfun. So I left it and it worked out fine:)
And here it is fresh from the dryer! I’m not usually one to quickly wash my quilts. I tend to hang them in the shop unwashed. But I wasn’t really loving my quilting and I thought wrinkles would help. They did!!
And finished back! I’m 100% sure that I like the back even more than the front!! I’m obsessed with this print from Tula Pink and I used all my extra blocks for an accent stripe. From the moment I saw this fabric, I wanted it to be a backing and the color was perfect for this. I will probably lay this quilt on the side just as often as the “front”.
I used the same fabric for binding. I cut it along the selvage instead of width of fabric so the stripes would be perpendicular to the quilt. I had a piece left from the backing that was the perfect size for this:)